Early Childhood Education
Home / Cont Ed Programs / Early Childhood Education
Start date: TBD (Not currently offered, please consult the ECE Work-Study Pathway [COUD] page)
End date: TBD
Program length: 1 year
This program prepares students to work as Early Childhood Educators with children from the ages of 0 to 12 years old, and to foster their general development. Importantly, it also prepares graduates to communicate effectively with their families. Graduates will be equipped with the skills and knowledge to design and implement inclusive educational activities aligned with the requirements of the Quebec’s Educational Program for Childcare Services adopted by the Ministère de la famille et des ainées. The interactive nature of the coursework helps students learn how to establish partnerships with parents and pertinent resources with respect to the child’s holistic development and their basic needs.
The Early Childhood Education Program consists of seventeen credit courses, for a total of 1305 hours.
- 322-703-RL – Introduction to the Early Childhood Education Profession – 45 Hours
- 322-713-RL – Safety in Child Care – 45 Hours
- 322-724-RL – Professional Communication Skills – 60 Hours
- 350-704-RL – Child Development (0 to 5 years) – 60 Hours
- 322-843-RL – Pedagogical Approaches – 45 Hours
- 322-714-RL – Observing Children – 60 Hours
- 350-714-RL – Child Development (5 to 12 years) – 60 Hours
- 322-823-RL – Autonomy in Children – 45 Hours
- 322-773-RL – Meaningful Relationships with Children – 45 Hours
- 322-734-RL – Educational Interventions for Infants and Toddlers (0 to 2 years) – 60 Hours
- 322-793-RL – Child Health – 45 Hours
- 322-709-RL – Fieldwork 1: Initiation – 135 Hours
- 322-783-RL – Creativity in the Workplace – 45 Hours
- 322-744-RL – Educational Interventions for Children (2 to 5 years) – 60 Hours
- 322-813-RL – Children with Special Needs – 45 Hours
- 322-824-RL – Guidance Interventions – 60 Hours
- 322-754-RL – Educational Interventions for School-Aged Children(5 to 12 years) – 60 Hours
- 322-833-RL – Professional Partnerships – 45 Hours
- 322-803-RL – Healthy Nutrition – 45 Hours
- 322-70F-RL – Fieldwork 2: Integration – 240 Hours
In order to ensure that our graduates are competitive in the market place, the College reserves the right to modify portions of this program at any time.
Students must have a Quebec Diploma of Secondary Studies or a High School Leaving Certificate or have received instruction deemed sufficient by the College, as well as meet the admission criteria to an Attestation of Collegial Studies (AEC). Students must be functionally bilingual (French and English), particularly in their oral communication skills. Prospective candidates will be asked to submit a curriculum vitae (CV) and will be interviewed prior to admission to the program to verify their qualifications. Potential candidates may be required to take an appropriate remedial course(s).
You are eligible to register in a program if you are a:
- Canadian Citizen or
- Permanent Resident or
- Holder of a valid Student Visa
And you can provide proof of previous studies deemed acceptable by the College, for example:
- A Quebec Secondary V Diploma or a Diploma of Secondary Studies or equivalent scholarity or
- A College Diploma or a University Degree or
- An “Évaluation comparative des études effectuées hors du Québec” or
- Partial high school studies, coupled with a recommendation from a current or former employer that you would benefit from pursuing your education at the post-secondary level.
And you meet one of the following three conditions:
- You have not been a full-time student for at least two consecutive terms or one school year within the last 12 months.
- You are part of an agreement between the College and an employer, or you are sponsored within the terms of a government program (for example: CSST, Emploi-Québec).
- You have completed at least one year of post-secondary studies spread over a period of one year or more.
Continuing Education – F-151
Champlain College Saint-Lambert
900 Riverside Drive