What is the French Exit Exam?

The French Exit Exam, also known as the épreuve uniforme de français (EUF), is a Ministerial Examination of College French. The EUF is a 4.5-hour examination that takes place three times a year, in May, December and August.

Students attending an English-language Cegep who do not hold a Certificate of English Eligibility (COE) must write the l’épreuve uniforme de français.

Note: if you are required to write the EUF, you have to do so even if you have previously passed the English Exit Exam. For further information, please see an Academic Advisor at the Registrar’s Office.

When am I eligible to write the épreuve uniforme de français?

To be eligible for the EUF, you must have successfully completed two of the three preparatory courses and be in the process of completing the third at the time of registration for the test. You must register for the exam with your college.

Will I receive notification if I have to write the EUF? Do I have to register?

If you are eligible to write the EUF, you will receive a MIO three weeks before to inform you of the date, time and location.

I meet the criteria to write the EUF, but I didn’t receive any information. What should I do?

You must contact the Registrar’s Office in room F-103 or by phone at 450-672-7360 ext. 3256.

I am scheduled to write the EUF. What happens if I don’t write it?

Students who do not write the EUF on their scheduled date are not penalized. However, you will not graduate until you have passed. This may have an effect on your admission to university.

When and where does the exam take place?

The EUF takes place three times a year: in May, August and December. The dates are determined by the Ministry. Champlain College cannot under any circumstances change the date or time of the exam. Students who miss the exam must write it on the next date when it is offered. Students have to write the EUF at Champlain College.

Note: Students writing the EUF in August will have their exam graded in time for the fall start date at university.

Are special measures available to students requiring adapted support?

The Student Access Centre will take care of registering the students who have provided their IEP to the department directly.


Can I re-write the exam if I fail?

Yes, you can re-write the EUF as many times as necessary until you pass it.

If I fail the EUF, will I automatically be re-registered to re-write it?

No. You must contact the Registrar’s Office in room F-103 or by phone at 450-672-7360 ext. 3256.

How can I prepare?

Consult MESRS’s page of Resource Materials including this one. Champlain also holds info sessions prior to the May and December Exams; you will be informed of the date and time in the same mailing as your invitation to write the EUF. You can also register yourself into this free preparation course at Cegep a distance.

Can I go to university if I don’t pass?

You must pass the EUF in order to obtain your DEC. Please contact Academic Advising if you have questions regarding language examination eligibility and university requirements.

How is the EUF graded?

The student must achieve an overall rating of “C” or better in each of the following three criteria:
⦁ Comprehension and quality of argumentation
⦁ Structure of the student’s text
⦁ Mastery of language

The final exam grade is pass/fail.

When will I receive my grade? Where will my grade appear?

Your final grade (pass/fail) will be available on your Omnivox account approximately six weeks after you write the exam. It will also appear on your transcript. The full marks (i.e. the letter grades for each marking criteria) will be mailed to you at a later date.

Please note: Students who fail (even multiple times) will have the results of each attempt printed on their transcript.

Where can I find more information about the EUF?

Exemption for First Nations and Inuit Students

Did you know that a person residing or having resided on certain Indigenous territories may be eligible for an exemption from the French Exit Exam (EUF), even if they do not have a certificate of eligibility for instruction in English? For more information, consult the exemption request form.

Instructions & exemption request form