Our Mission

The Student Access Centre (SAC) at Champlain College promotes equitable access to education and student life and fosters an environment of inclusion and respect.

Our mission is to offer accommodations and support to students with disabilities; to reduce barriers that prevent students from requesting accommodations and; to create a more equitable learning environment whereby less individual accommodations are required.

We work to provide our students with the tools they need to become empowered and autonomous. We help our students become self-led learners as well as to prepare them for their academic and professional futures. We collaborate with faculty and staff to increase their awareness of our services, of the accommodation process and of disabilities within the education system.

Vision And Values

We envision a Champlain College that is fully inclusive of students with disabilities. We value the lived experiences of our diverse students and are committed to normalizing the accommodation process.


Who We Support

We support full-time and part-time students, and students in the Continuing Education Department.

Any students living with a disability can request accommodations throughout their time at Champlain College. This includes learning disabilities, physical disabilities, neurological disorders, sensory impairments, organic disorders, mental health disorders as well as temporary disabilities or injuries.

Getting Started

New Students

Students who may require or who currently have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) for academic accommodations should register with the Student Access Centre (SAC). This should be done as soon as they are accepted to the college to support their success.

Any students living with a disability has a right to access their education with reasonable accommodations. This includes learning disabilities, physical disabilities, neurological disorders, sensory impairments, and mental health disorders. Others who have special circumstances such as adults returning to school, allophones and single parents may benefit from accommodation and should also contact the SAC to see how they can be supported.

Steps to registering with the Student Access Centre:  

There will be four steps to register, follow them one at a time.  

  1. Contact us! In Omnivox, send a MIO message to SAC, or an email to sac@crcmail.net Please include your Champlain Saint-Lambert student number. We will reply to you with more information for your next steps. 
  2. Complete the online intake form (which will be provided to you once you reach out). 
  3. Provide any documentation you have (psychoeducational assessment, medical documentation and / or high school IEP). 
  4. Meet with a SAC counsellor to assess your needs and create your college IEP. 

As a new student, you should start this process as soon as you are admitted, so that you can meet an SAC counsellor before your schedule is made. We will meet you to register you to the SAC throughout the year, but the sooner the better!  

Our Services


Your CEGEP IEP is individualized to your specific needs. There, accommodations are determined in your individual meetings with an Adapted Services Counsellor. Accommodations may include, but are not limited to:

  1. Extended time during course examinations
  2. The use of a quiet room for tests and assignments
  3. The use of assistive technology
  4. The use of accessible digital copies of documents
  5. Specialized assistance from an attendant/li>
  6. Access to course note-taking and in-class assistance
  7. Individualized scheduling needs (i.e. reduced course load, long breaks between classes)


As your situation changes, you can modify and update your accommodations by scheduling a meeting with a SAC counsellor through the SAC Mio.

Sac Exam Room

In the SAC exam room (F147), students are provided with a quiet atmosphere and a variety of accommodations. A total of 34 seats are allotted for students to write their exams by hand or digitally. Should the IEP mention the use of technology, we can provide the students with computers that are equipped with specialized software such as Word Q (English and French), Antidote, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word. The college may lend or provide access to technology as required.

Individualized Support

The SAC offers in person or online sessions to examine academic concerns and perceived barriers to success. The aim is to create a personalized plan or to provide tools for the students to promote academic achievement. The Special Education Technician works with a multidisciplinary team to apply special education techniques and methods in keeping with an individualized education plan for students requiring specific support. Contact the SAC for specialized assistance, if you are struggling with:

  1. Motivation
  2. Time management
  3. College learning strategies
  4. Procrastination
  5. Note-taking skills
  6. Balancing student life and personal life
  7. Assignment planning
  8. Study skills and preparation
  9. Encouraging self-advocacy, collaboration and assertiveness

Sac Resource Space: The Quiet Room In F145

The quiet room, located in F145, is a safe space that is dedicated to SAC students. It is open for students if they need a moment to take a breather, to connect with other SAC students or a counsellor, or to use as a work space. The computers are adapted to be accessible for all SAC students; they are equipped with specialized software such as Word Q (English and French), Antidote, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word.

Counsellors also offer workshops and activities in the quiet room for students throughout the semester to contribute to their student life experience. Some examples of workshops and activities that have been done in the past are:

  1. Thematic relaxation crafts and activities
  2. Study skills
  3. Managing stress and anxiety during finals
  4. Transitioning to CEGEP


Champlain College’s SAC students should consider the quiet room as their space to relax and have fun. It is an encouraging community that promotes academic and social success.

Frequently Asked Questions

When is the best time to seek support from SAC?

A: You may ask for SAC support any time during your college studies. However, contacting us as soon as you receive your acceptance letter from the college allows the SAC counsellor to ensure you start receiving your accommodations the first week of classes.

If I had an intervention plan in high school, does that mean I can receive the same services?

A: Not necessarily. A High School IEP does not necessarily guarantee accommodations in CEGEP. Additional documentation may be required in order to set up your CEGEP intervention plan. Also, due to the learning needs and constraints of the CEGEP system, the accommodations themselves may differ.

Can the college still provide me with accommodations and services if I do not have a diagnostic report?

If you do not have a diagnostic report but believe that you might benefit from accommodations, please reach out to the SAC. The team will guide you on the best way to get support based on your current needs and concerns.

I have a diagnostic paper dating from elementary school; is this accepted?

A: Diagnoses have no expiry date. On the other hand, a more recent diagnosis may make it easier to assess your current needs. Support services and accommodations serve to promote your college success, autonomy, and well-being. It is therefore important to keep in mind that your needs will be evaluated in the context of your college studies.

If I make accommodations, will this appear on my transcript?

A: No, there will be no mention of support received on your transcript.

If I make accommodations, who will know?

A: When you meet with a SAC counsellor, you will be able to decide who should receive what information, how to communicate this information, and the benefits of doing so.

Can we make corrections or additions to the intervention plan after signing it? If yes, when?

A: Yes, following your meeting and the signing of your intervention plan, you can establish regular meetings with your SAC counsellor to go over your needs and accommodations to facilitate the implementation of your plan. During your studies, if there is a need to make changes to the plan, you will have the possibility to request a meeting to discuss these changes.

Are my appointments with the SAC counsellor confidential?

A: Yes, your meetings are fully confidential unless you otherwise specify. However, it is important to note that in order to receive accommodations, a certain amount of information will need to be shared with your teachers, staff and Ministry of Education.

How do I request to use my test or exam accommodations?

A: Test or exam accommodation requests are made through Omnivox at least a week before your test or exam. Here are the steps:

  • Sign in to Omnivox using your student ID number and password.
  • Click on the Student Access Centre on the left side bar on your screen.
  • Enter the following information using the drop-down options:


  1. Course name
  2. Enter date and time of test or exam
  3. Location of test or exam
  4. Enter comments and/or questions in the comment box
  5. Choose the exam accommodations you may need
  6. Click on apply


Once approved, you will receive a notification in your “What’s New” box on the right side of your Omnivox homepage.

Contact Us

For further information, don’t hesitate to contact us:  

E-mail: sac@crcmail.net

MIO: SAC, Student Access Centre 

SAC Telephone: 450-672-7360, ext: 3446